Successful Land Applicants


Source : WANDO VALE Closer Settlement 1900-2000 Centenary Book

The Wando Vale Estate

"The Wando Vale estate purchased under "Wando Vale Estate Purchase Act", 1900 for closer settlement under part 3 of the "Land Act 1898", is situated in the western portion of the Colony, in the County of Dundas, and is adjacent to, and similar in character to, well known estates recognised as some of the finest in Victoria. It consists of 10,447 acres of undulating country, the soil being of varying characters, a rich black loam on the flats, good quality loam on the slopes, and tablelands of medium quality. The geological formation generally is carbonaceous sandstone overlaid for the most part by tertiary, and on a limited area there is some out cropping of granite.

With an elevation ranging from about 300 feet to 800 feet above sea level, an average rainfall of about 26 inches, and a good climate; this district presents very favorable conditions. The estate is traversed by the Wando Vale Ponds, a tributary of the Glenelg River. Water for stock, though not fit for domestic use, can be obtained by shallow sinking in the creeks, and, by reason of the undulating configuration of the Estate, water storage by dams can be easily provided.

Wando Vale Estate lies north of Casterton, is 4 to 11 miles distant from the railway terminus (Casterton), the distance by rail to Melbourne being 245 miles, and to Portland 70 miles. Its outlet by sea board is Portland, where extensive harbour works have been executed, and where modern and well equipped Freezing Works are in operation.

At Sandford, about 7 miles from Wando Vale homestead, a butter factory is established, and it is expected that a Creamery will be erected on the Estate, a suitable site having been surveyed for that purpose. Generally the Estate is well adapted for dairying pursuits, but some portions are more suited for ordinary grazing; a considerable area has at different times been under cultivation by tennants at high rents.

Many of the allotments are lightly timbered with red and white gum, box and she-oak, but all are in such condition as to be available at once for use, necessitating no additional present expense but that of fencing; and as the boundary and subdivisional fences are substatnatial and in good order, the fencing required will be much reduced.

Two important roads pass through the property - one the main route from Casterton to Harrow, and the other known as the Satimer Road. An area of five acres is to be reserved for road improvement purposes in Allotment 1, Section F.

Provision has been made for a small township. Allotments, half an acre in extent, are to be offered for sale by auction, reservations for recreation purposes (five acres); land alloted for school and hall sites.

The adopted values are about one-eight less than those placed on the allotments after careful inspection by the Honorables the Premier and Treasurer, assisted by the following gentlemen: Messrs T. E. SYLVESTER, (The President of the Shire of Glenelg); W. MOODIE of Wando Dale; P. McEWIN of Dunrobin and Wm. RHODES of Henty."

Successful Applicants

Of the 303 applicants for blocks on the Settlement, there were 39 single men, 27 married men, whose families numbered about 120 children.

Parish of Casterton

Parish of Carapook

Parish of Bruk Bruk

Parish of Wando