Paschendale SS 4107

5 miles North East of Merino, South-West Victoria, Australia

The school was situated about 5 miles NE of Merino on the N side of the Paschendale Rd, just W of the Paschendale Hall. The name Paschendale, was given to the area when the the old 'Struan' estate was sub-divided for Soldier Settlement after the First World War. 'Struan', one of Victoria's earliest stations, adjoined Francis HENTY's historic 'Merino Downs'. The thirty-nine soldier settlers pressed for a school and their new building, 21ftx16ft, was opened by the President of the Glenelg Shire, Cr. WATERS, in 1923. Miss J. PLUMBE was HT, President of the Committee was George POVEY and Correspondent F. DENNEY. Enrolment increased and the school room was extended to 33ftx21ft in 1933. In 1936 the school had 70-80 pupils and three teachers. A residence was built on the W side of the school in 1934. The HT then, E.C. KRIEGER, later became Assistant Chief Inspector of Primary Schools. Paschendale school was moved to Merino Consolidated where it now serves as a dining room. The nearby hall became the school for some months but, as long delays occured in the provision of buildings at Merino Consolidated, Paschendale school closed in 1949 and most pupils transferred to 4492 Talisker, until Paschendale bus began its service to Merino on 1st of June 1952. The residence was retained on its site for use by teachers at the Consolidated but after being vacant for many years, it was sold for removal to Dartmoor in 1968.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.