The school was proposed by the Board of Advice for the Southern Riding of Glenelg Shire which had 42 children in the area requiring schooling. It was a one-room weatherboard structure situated in bush country, approximately 9 miles across country NW of Merino on the Killara Rd beside the Humble Bumble Creek. The first HT was Benjamin F. LANGFORD 16th November 1874 to 15th November 1875. Mocamboro was conducted part-time with Bowtell's Creek from 22nd of August 1884. The school closed 14th of March 1916 as settlers began to realise that the bush blocks of 80-100 acres would not support them. The school building was sold and moved to Digby to become a private residence. The site in an area of State Forest is now overgrown. The district is very sparsley populated although the bushland which proved too much for early settlers is in recent years being bull-dozed by bigger land holders.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.

A number of the older generation in Sandford today did all or much of their schooling at The Bluff School, which also appears in official records as Mocamboro School. This school was proposed by the Board of Advice for the South Riding of the Shire of Glenelg, which found that there were 42 children in the area requiring schooling. The School was opened in November, 1874, with Mr. B. F. LANGFORD as Head Teacher. It was a single-roomed, weatherboard building, situated in bush country about seven miles south-west of Sandford, beside the Humble Bumble Creek, on what is now known as the Kilmoc Road.

The Bluff School closed on May 14, 1916, as settlers found that the bush blocks would not support them and they moved away. The last teacher was Miss. Mary CAREY (now Mrs. M. T. STARK, who lives in Casterton). The building was sold and moved to Digby. The five-acre site is now part of the property owned by Mr. Jim GILL.

Source: Back-to-Sandford, 1975.

1898 Pupils at Mocamboro School

Source : Photograph in "Tales of Casterton" by Jack Gorman.