An early school associated with the Church of England, began on a site behind the present police station. The building was commodious and suitable but as DI GEARY remarked, the school had the services of 'such sorry teachers'. SS1035 began on 4th of February 1871 under HT Janet DUNBAR with a NE of 44 but an a.a. of 27, DI BRODRIBB subsequently recommended the existing school site which was gazetted on 30th of January 1874. The Department leased the Church of England building until a portable was on site in 1877. Low attendances caused the school to function part-time 1884-89 with Gelnaulin. A storm in 1887 destroyed the original building; the replacement building became dilapidated by the 1890s but a new school was not erected until 1913 at a cost of 448. Sir Alexander PEACOCK officially opened this on 18th of July 1914. Extensions were made in 1927, 1951 and 1954 when NE reached 90.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.