The school opened on 13th of June 1881 but under the official name and number of 2112 Muntham with which it worked half-time. It received the designation SS2548 Merino Downs during 1882. During 1881 the combined attendance of the two sections of 2112 Muntham was 20 pupils (10 boys, 10 girls). The Merino Downs school was evidently conducted in a leased building. HT A. RICHARDS served from 1881-2. The school closed on 2nd of April 1885.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.