As a result of the increase in population due to the sub-division of Hilgay Estate for Soldier Settlement, DI A.J. LAW recommended establishment of a full-time school at Hilgay. Accordingly Hilgay opened on 22nd of November 1925. The school closed on 30th of July 1951. In 1955 the building was removed to be used at Chetwynd as a replacement for that school's building. However, it proved unsatisfactory, and in 1957 the building was sold for demolition.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.